IMPORTANT Must Attend Meeting! This issue has state wide implications for the siting of retail stores and would provide those looking to push retailers out of existing locations a path to do so. PLEASE show up and get involved.
When: Thursday May 12th, 9:00am-11:00am
Spokane City Council Chambers
Spokane City Hall
808 West Spokane Falls Boulevard
What: Washington Senate Commerce and Labor Committee Meeting in Spokane;
This is a Work Session & the following will be discussed:
- Authorizing local governments to prohibit the operation of licensed marijuana retail businesses within alcohol impact areas [S-5228.1].
- Issues and concerns surrounding the siting of marijuana businesses.
- Invited panels.
The chair of this committee is Sen. Michael Baumgartner, he has reached out to various individuals to serve as panelist and provide insight into the following:
- - Any city ordinances and the policy making process regarding marijuana businesses;
- - Whether the Council was aware that the City could object to licensing of a marijuana business;
- - How the Council weighed any decision on making objections;
- - Whether there were concerns or objections raised by the public;
- - Whether any objections were made to the Liquor Cannabis Board and if so, how were they considered by the LCB;
- - Any issues or concerns the Council has discussed to improve siting of retail marijuana establishments; and
- - Discuss the draft bill.
The draft bill they are discussing:
Alcohol impact area = http://www.liq.wa.gov/licensing/alcohol-impact-areas